Sunday, November 6, 2011

World Vegan Day: 10 Famous Vegans


10 Famous Vegans

World Vegan Day is celebrated annually by Vegans all around the world. World Vegan day started in 1944 by The Vegan Society and is now celebrated globally in many countries on various days in October & November.


This year we celebrate World Vegan Day on Sunday, November 6th hosted by the Vegetarian Network Victoria. 

To celebrate World Vegan Day we are paying tribute to our Top 10 Famous Vegans & Vegetarians - our Vegan Vixens

1. Alicia Silverstone vegan


PETA crowned Alicia Silverstone their 2004 Sexiest Female Vegetarian and in 2007 Alicia appeared nude in a PETA print ad and commercial promoting vegetarianism for GoVeg.com. She has been a vegan since 1998. 

Alicia: "Once I became Vegan, my nails were stronger, my skin was glowing, I lost a lot of weight. Going Vegan is the single best thing I've done in my life. I am so much happier and more confident, I made a decision based on my moral beliefs."


 

Alicia's New York Times best selling book The Kind Diet is a simple guide for vegetarians/vegans featuring 100 delicious recipes. She also shares her vegan diet tips and eco-friendly lifestyle choices via her online community at TheKindLife.com.


2. Pamela Anderson vegan


When you think of a Celebrity Vegan it's very likely that Pamela Anderson comes to mind, due to her involvement in many animal-rights campaigns with PETA. Pamela is a Vegan and a devoted animals rights advocate. 

Pamela: "Eating vegetarian helps me stay slim and healthy, and it gives me the energy to keep up with my kids, work and travel."   



Pamela has also appeared in many Vegetarian campaigns for PETA. In 2010 she launched her Vegan Shake at Millions of Milkshakes made with a vegan ice cream, pineapple, coconut and banana. In 2001 Pamela exposed the truth about Kentucky Fried Chicken's horrible treatment of their chickens, starting a campaign to boycott Kentucky Fried Chicken calling it Kentucky Fried Cruelty.


3. Olivia Wilde vegan


Actress Olivia Wilde has been a vegetarian since the age of 12 and received PETA's Sexiest Female Vegetarian award in 2010. Olivia has said that since going Vegan, she feels more healthy and has recently launched a website to support her vegan lifestyle; Wilde Things.   

Olivia: "Being vegan is not always easy and accessible, but it's a way of life and makes me as a person feel really good and physically look better."



Olivia: "Beyond my desire to boycott torture factories, I am also way happier when I eat a plant based diet, and I feel about a thousand times more energetic." 


4. Carrie Underwood vegan


Carrie Underwood grew up on a farm in Oklahoma and she said she'd rather sing to the cows than eat them.

Carrie: "Ever since I was little I loved animals."   

 

She stopped eating red meat when she was about 13 and after moving away from Oklahoma at age 21 she became a vegetarian. Due to her lactose intolerance she is now a Vegan. Carrie once wore a "V is for Vegetarian" t-shirt on American Idol and was name PETA's Sexiest Female Vegetarian in 2005. 

5. Kellie Pickler vegetarian


Kellie Pickler was once a red-meat-eating country girl, but after she saw a PETA ad online featuring vegetarian Pamela Anderson, she made the switch to Vegetarianism. 

Kellie: "It's animal cruelty. A lot of it has to do with knowing what happens to the animals and it really bothered me and so I will not eat meat." 

PETA was impressed with Kellie's change in diet and named her their 2009 Sexiest Female Vegetarian. 


6. Shania Twain vegetarian


The queen of country music Shania Twain has been a Vegetarian since 1993 and was PETA's first star to be named Sexiest Vegetarian Alive

Shania:  "I don't eat meat, fish or eggs. I was never a big meat-eater, but I've got more energy now. I eat a lot of tofu and drink soy shakes with fruit every morning. I always have soybeans, black beans or chickpeas for lunch or dinner." 


7. Lea Michele vegan


After reading the book "Skinny Bitch" actress Lea Michele went Vegan and now works closely with PETA as a spokeswoman for animal-rights. 

Lea: "I'm a Vegan. It makes me feel really good and bright." 


Glee golden girl Lea Michele is super healthy and loves working out. 

Lea: “I’m good in the sense that I’ve never eaten fast food. I do not drink soda. I don’t eat candy. Like my house is healthy, so when I’m saying I’m eating a lot it’s like good food that’s worth it. I love working out. I work out to feel good but also so I can eat whatever I want.

8. Ellen Degeneres vegan


Comedian, animal advocate and TV host Ellen Degeneres is a passionate Vegan. Her wife Portia De Rossi also follows a vegan lifestyle and the pair have been Vegans since 2008.

Ellen: "I personally chose to go vegan because I educated myself on factory farming and cruelty to animals, and I suddenly realised that what was on my plate were living things, with feelings. And I just couldn’t disconnect myself from it any longer." 



Ellen shares her Going Vegan diet tips and delicious recipes on her website. She also contributes to many animal-rights organisations including The Gentle Barn and Farm Sanctuary. She also co-owns her own natural pet food company Halo. "Ever since I can remember I've loved animals."

9. Kristen Bell vegetarian


Actress Kristen Bell is a vegetarian because of her love for animals and was voted PETA's Sexiest Female Vegetarian in 2006.

Kristen: "I have always been an animal lover. I had a hard time disassociating the animals I cuddled with - dogs and cats, for example - from the animals on my plate. I never really cared for the taste of meat. I always loved brussels sprouts."  

Bell became a vegetarian at the age of 11. Even as a child, Kristen didn't eat meat.

Kristen: "I had a lot of quirks as a child. One was that I didn’t like to eat meat: I didn’t like to chew it, didn’t like the taste or smell of it, and just wasn’t having any of it."


Kristen is a very healthy eater and loves working out, she finds balance in her life by keeping it simple.

Kristen: "I make sure to eat really dark power vegetables, like broccoli and kale. One of my favourite things to do is to pick a food, like kale, and get some fresh from the farmers market, then look up different recipes with it as an ingredient, make all those recipes, and decide which is best."

Kristen: "One of my on-the-go snacks is low fat cottage cheese with diced tomato and avocado mixed in."


10. Hayden Panettiere vegetarian


Candie's cutie Hayden Panettiere has always been passionate about saving animals and is actively involved as an animal-rights activist with the Save the Whales campaign. 




Hayden has two rescue dogs Penny Lane and Madison and one cat. Just like her fellow actresses Hayden loves animals and follows a vegetarian diet.

Hayden: "Anyone who knows me knows how much I love animals and how passionate I am about protecting them."  



More Famous Vegetarians & Vegans:

Alyssa Milano, Jenna Dewan Tatum, Leona Lewis, Alanis Morrisette, Portia de Rossi, Dianna Agron, Brigitte Bardot, Fiona Apple, Emily Deschanel, Natalie Portman, Carrie-Anne Moss, Shannon Elizabeth. 


For more information about becoming a vegetarian visit GoVeg.com.

SaveSaveSaveSave